Thursday, March 27, 2014

God's love always wins

**I have been thinking about World Vision and their hiring policy for days and didn't know if I should say anything here because it's all kinds of controversial, but I ultimately decided I would because of a conversation I had with a professor as part of an early childhood education grad school class. I had written a paper about kids with gay parents and it received a whole lot of negative feedback from my classmates. The professor asked me a few questions about my paper and my decision to write about that topic and I told her that I thought everybody had at least one thing in their lives they felt they needed to fight for and that equal rights was one of my things. I'm treading carefully, but I feel like I need to say something here. These are my thoughts as a human and a daughter, friend, wife, mother, sister, believer in the good of humanity. Most of my anger and disappointment and sadness have been talked through and cried over. Here's what's left.**

Cool Pictures of Churches
I wonder how many times we, as a Christian church, will have to tell people that God doesn't want them as part of the church before they'll actually listen.

I wonder how many times we, as a Christian church, will shame, bully, and slam doors in people's faces before they get the point.

I wonder how many times we, as a Christian church, have to say that the love and compassion you want to share with people through sponsoring a child or adoption or mentorship just isn't good enough before they'll stop trying.

I'm sitting here looking at the bible. The same one that "clearly states" that homosexuals are going to hell. (That's sarcasm.) The same bible that one chapter later says, "Do not lie. Do not swear. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seeds. Do not wear clothing woven with two kinds of material." (various verses in Leviticus, chapter 19.)

While we're deciding that homosexuality is worse than divorce, but better than murder, let's consider this. Whose sin is worse? The woman who loves another woman or the pastor who tells her that she and her children will go to hell because of it? (That happened. I was there.) The man who loves another man or the person who taunts him with sneers and names and wickedness?

Today I'm mostly sad. Sad that it feels like hate won. Sad that if enough people say enough hateful, dangerous, terrible things, we will listen. Sad that people would willingly walk away from the least and the lost because of a hiring policy. Sad that somehow, and I don't know how, homosexuality became the thing, the shining sin by which to judge all humans, the deciding factor on if a person belongs in God's clubhouse or not.

I know we will not all agree on the bible and homosexuality. I just wish the conversation weren't so full of venom and hate. Because we are all created in God's image and God's image is beautiful. God's image is love. God's image is kindness.

So, today I'm mostly sad. But I know this isn't the end of the story because's God's love always wins. I don't know what that means in this situation. It may not be in the timeline we want and it may not look the way we expect, but God's love always wins.
 Always.

2 comments:

  1. <3 I'm with you in this feeling of heavy grief over not just this latest injustice, but all the ones that happen every day that separate people into categories so that we can dismiss the image of God that they carry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tackled it with grace DeNae. I'm saddened and disgusted by the whole thing. If the heart of the church isn't love, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete