Monday, April 28, 2014

It's going to be okay.

Wouldn't it be grand if the road of life were paved with Golden Arrows pointing you in the direction of your Happy Ending and Most Cherished Dreams? Not a pothole, detour, or dead end to be seen.
Are we all laughing at the absurdity of that? Because as great as it sounds, it just isn't happening. At least it's never happened to me. If it's happening to you, please let me know where to sign up because I want in on that action.

In reality, life is full of curve balls and gut checks and face palms as we try to navigate a path that is often covered in overgrown trees and lined with obnoxious, blinking lights to distract us from the important stuff of life. Those blinking lights might be money or fame or alcohol or keeping up with the joneses or living sports dreams through our kids or bulimia or, or, or, pick your poison, really. The list is endless and is different for all of us.

What I'd really like is to say a prayer on Sunday night and wake up Monday morning with a clear answer straight from God's mouth, written in red lipstick on my bathroom mirror. That is a bit of an exaggeration, but I wouldn't mind a bit more clarity in my life when making big decisions.

We are having big discussions over here about big life things and I felt the very beginning pangs of anxiety rising up in my chest like holding my breath underwater when all I want to do is take a deep, free breath. I wanted Gold Arrows pointing the way. I wanted lipstick on mirrors.
Here's what I got instead.

I was cleaning out our school room to keep our newly crawling Asher Boy from choking on Legos and teeny neon rubber bands. I came across a kids' devotion book that I bought a few years ago, but hadn't used in a while, and I randomly flipped to a page to see if it was something I wanted to read with the kids.

The page I flipped to started with this bible verse:
"The Lord directs the steps of the godly. God delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalm 37:23-24

It ended with this paragraph:
"In good times, we leap up to the mountaintops. In difficult times, I hold your hand and keep you from falling. But at all times, I am beside you as we go along the path of Life."

You can say it like Bob Marley or like Elsa or like God. "Every little thing gonna be alright." "Let it go." "I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you."

They all boil down to the same message.

I'm going to mess us. Sometimes my mess up will be on little decisions and sometimes it'll be on big decisions. But God's got my back. It's going to work out. Life will be full of potholes and detours and dead ends, but I don't have to take it all so seriously and stress about every direction and every choice. In fact I shouldn't stress about every little thing because then the stress overshadows the abundant joy and goodness happening every single dang day.

It wasn't lipstick on the mirror or a loud, clanging drum saying, "follow me to your happy ending." Instead it was a quiet whisper of reassurance.

"It's going to be okay. No matter what happens, it's going to be okay."

1 comment:

  1. God is good and He has our back always - thank you for the reminder in your words of hope and encouragement! God's richest blessings on your day!!!

    ReplyDelete