Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Today

It is cool and overcast and rainy. There is an occasional flash of lightning. It feels as though we flipped the switch from summer to fall in just one night. I crave a good book, a blanket, a cushy pillow, and a few uninterrupted hours on the couch to read and write and doze off.

I watched the buses come to pick up the neighbor kids yesterday and then went to Target with my four kids where moms luxuriated in the aisles, actually reading the food labels and trying on shoes instead of throwing stuff in the cart in a mad dash to get out of the store before the kids get antsy or noisy or probably both.

Don't get me wrong. I know they came from a 12 hour night shift or are going home to a trashed kitchen and 13 loads of laundry or are rushing to the office and are already late since the bus was late to pick up the kiddos. It's not easier or better. It's just different.(Although I think we can all agree that any 20 minutes alone in Target are pretty sweet.)

Instead I have four children, hundreds of boxes, school review so that our official September 22 school start isn't such a shock to the senses, and piles of stuff (junk?) everywhere.




It's not quite as easy and relaxing as life was 11 years ago. My time is not my own. My money is not my own. At this point, even my body isn't my own with breastfeeding and people tugging me in different directions.

And that's ok.

I'm foregoing today's nap for math review, lunch time, a few arguments, laundry, another probably futile attempt to figure out Asher's sleep schedule, and whatever else the day may bring. Because the day always, ALWAYS brings something I don't expect.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

So if you're home alone or with older kids, how about you take a nap for me. And if you're wishing your kids were little again or you're wishing you had a baby to hold, I'll give my kids an extra snuggle for you.
This is the face I get when I say, "Smile at mama." Cheesy smile every time

We just never quite know how life is going to turn out. The only thing we can do is make the best of whatever plops right smack dab in the middle of our day.

 How do you like to spend a rainy, dreary day? Does it ever actually happen that way?

1 comment:

  1. Love the boxes! Our house is looking the same way these days :) Happy moving!

    ReplyDelete