Wednesday, October 15, 2014

when adventure in theory is better than adventure in practice

At least once a day someone says, "I wish we didn't move, but I'm excited to move." Or something along those lines. Yes, sometimes those words come from my mouth. And sometimes they are said with sadness pinching the speaker's throat tight and sometimes they are said with tears streaming.

We were sad to leave our home, neighborhood, and friends. Really, really, REALLY sad. We are excited to get to Colorado. This in between part is not our favorite.

When one of our kids says they wish we didn't move or they want to go to Colorado now or something in that vein, I usually respond in this way. Or I really try to. I try to give it the time, attention, and energy it deserves because these kids are doing hard things.

I go to where they are and I hug them. Usually a head rests on my shoulder. I tell them this is harder than I thought it would be. I ask what's hardest for them and I tell them what's hardest for me. I tell them what I'm learning from this crazy time in our lives that not many people get to experience. I tell them that God has this road figured out for us, even when it feels bumpy and uneven and really, terribly hard. This week I remind them of that magnificent mountain house in Evergreen just waiting for us that we couldn't have had if we'd moved straight to Colorado. I tell them about the ways I see our family working together and treating each other well even when we're sad or nervous or worried. I tell them how hard that is and how proud I am to see that.
Let your faith be bigger than your fear.
We sit in the quiet of our thoughts for a while and then we talk about the fun stuff we want to do in Omaha. We try to plan one fun, inexpensive jaunt each week to give us something to look forward to. Then we talk about what we're excited about in Evergreen.

I don't sugarcoat it. I don't pretend it's easy. I also don't wallow in sadness. None of those options are helpful to the real lives we have before us waiting to be lived bravely and with love and joy.
You don’t take things for granted. You know how to appreciate the good in life, and how to enjoy it come what may. | Community Post: 15 Perks Of Being A Middle Child
We named our school Brave Boulders. Sometimes when things are hard we joke that we didn't call it Weak Pebbles for a reason. Actually, Elliot thought of that and I think it's really quite clever for his 6 year old mind. Sometimes we want to give up on school because the numbers feel jumbled in our heads or the words in the book don't make sense. Or maybe we want to give up on making friends or on making the most of this adventure. But we don't. We hug and go to the park and read a book together and dig in to this delicious life.

Con estas palabras os deseamos FELIZ FIN DE SEMANA!#weekend  With these words we want to wish you a great weekend!   [PHOTOS] The 80 Best Adventure Quotes Photos Ive Ever Seen

Some days that is easy. Other days it's really hard. Other days it just doesn't work and we resolve to try again tomorrow. 

What if I fall? Oh my darling....“The problem with thinking that you are the absolute best, is that it leaves no room for you to become any better and while you live life thinking that you're the best, truth is a lot of people around you are already better and becoming even more better.” ― C. JoyBell C.
It's really all we can do. It's really all any of us can do. 

Here's what we have waiting for us. Here's the prize we keep our eyes on. Here's where we hope to fly again.
first family photo in Evergreen, picnicking at Lake Evergreen

Displaying IMG_20141009_094552231.jpg
This is a view of the mountains from Evergreen
Displaying IMG_20141009_141955438.jpg
The elk make themselves right at home in town
It's Wednesday. Let's finish our week brave and beautiful and with more faith than fear. Let's live. Let's fly. I'm sure going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment