Saturday, November 29, 2014

Apple Saturday

Yesterday was lefse day and today is apple day. My grandparents brought three bags of apples from their tree in South Dakota, so we are in a peeling/coring/slicing/baking frenzy.

(I interrupt this blog post for story. We started making applesauce when Isaac was a wee little boy. We got out the peeler/corer/slicer and showed him how it worked. He was enthralled. He started to twist the handle and said, "I tist and I tist and I tist and I tist," because he couldn't say twist. Now we say that every single time we use the gadget and tell the story of Isaac. It makes us all smile.)
 
Here they are, tisting and tisting and tisting.


Back to business: We've got a few pans of apple crisp in the oven, apple cinnamon bread in the queue, and apple sauce simmering on the stove. Yes, it smells as fragrant and delicious as you're imagining.

If you're into homemade and personal Christmas gifts, here's an idea I've done in the past. I gave someone an apple peeler/corer/slicer and compiled some of our favorite apple recipes along with some recipes from my friends who I know to be wonderful cooks. Write the recipes up on pretty recipe cards and there you have it. Ho ho ho. Merry Christmas.

Whether you use the recipes or give them as gifts, here are the recipes we're baking today. Enjoy!

Apple Sauce:

This is a very scientific, exact recipe. Just kidding.
Peel, core, and slice apples. Put them in a large pot. Add a bit of cinnamon to your liking and some water. Simmer until the apples break down. You can let this cook as long as you'd like to reach your desired consistency. We prefer our apple sauce a little chunky. You can make this in big batches and freeze it in baggies.



Apple Crisp:

apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
2 c oatmeal
1/2 cup flour

Fill a 9x13 pan 3/4 of the way full with peeled, cored, and sliced apples.
Mix together brown sugar, oatmeal, and flour. Cut in the butter. Pour mixture over the apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until apples are soft and topping is crisp.


Apple Cinnamon Bread: (tweaked from this recipe)

2/3 cup sugar
1 stick butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 apples, peeled and chopped.

Beat sugar and butter together until creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla.
In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry mixture to butter mixture. Pour the milk in and mix until smooth.
Pour half of the batter into a prepared loaf pan. Add half of the apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Pour the rest of the batter over the top, then add the rest of the apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake 45 minutes in a 350 oven. Check by inserting a toothpick into the center. It'll come out clean when the bread is finished.

I tripled this recipe and it worked really well.
As usual, Asher helped by taste testing the delicious apples and we used the bake time to play some cards.

I was feeling so domestic right until Jim started praying and thanked God for my grandparents and the delicious apples they brought to us and the tasty treats we made with them. It was right at that moment, mid-prayer, that I slapped the table, jumped up, and got the two apple crisps out of the oven that were definitely a bit too crisp. Whoops. I guess that's why people set timers.

Do you have a favorite recipe that uses apples? I'm all ears since I have another bag of apples.

2 comments:

  1. My grandma makes the best chunky applesauce! I love that you guys have multiple cooking traditions, that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do cook at home a lot and it just worked out that we did lots of baking and cooking this weekend. It's fun to involve the kids and I'm a sucker for traditions. Have a great week!

      Delete