Tuesday, November 11, 2014

First Impressions

The first time Jim met me I was wearing a towel. And to answer your questions, yes, I was sober, no, it wasn't part of a toga costume, and no, it wasn't even Halloween. Just interesting timing of him coming into my dorm as I was getting out of the shower. I mean, really, how do you NOT marry that girl?

That's the memorable first impression I left on Jim. So far, Evergreen has left some great first impressions on us.

We stopped at the post office to fill our some change of address paperwork and a man was there was his little girl who was about two years old. He noticed us filling out the papers and asked if we were new to town. When we said yes he gave us a big, hearty, "Well, welcome to Evergreen." When we left he and his daughter were standing outside and he asked how we chose Evergreen. We got into a really nice conversation and talked skiing and fun things to do in Evergreen throughout the year. As our conversation came to a close he said, "Welcome to Evergreen. You picked a rad little mountain town." I just love that description of this gorgeous little town. I tell people to picture a little Colorado mountain town and the picture that pops into their head is Evergreen.

After the post office we met the realtor at our new house. After she left I looked around and I breathed a deep, cleansing sigh of relief, a big breath of stress I didn't know I'd been holding. I felt an overwhelming urge to fill the house with the yeasty, welcoming scent of homemade bread. That'll happen eventually; we have a few things to attend to first.

We got Asher's pack n play set up right away and I sat on the floor nursing him. (The glider is in one of the pods being delivered another day.) Jim came in and said, "Let's see if we can hear it from in here." He opened the windows. I held my breath and listened closely. Then it hit me: the sound of a cool breeze rustling the evergreens sloping down our little patch of the mountain. It was so close to silence, but more like a hallowed quiet. I sat there snuggling my little moving trooper, listening to the beauty of air moving and was again reminded of the marvel of simple pleasures.

The first of three pods was delivered yesterday and just as we opened it to start unloading, soft and gentle snowflakes started whirling and twirling around us. The kids said, "Welcome to Evergreen and welcome to winter!" What a gorgeous welcome.

We went to get our library cards and the children's area was a hub of activity for Lego club. Friday they are hosting Family Game Night, Saturday they are having a family movie day, next Wednesday they have a book club for kids ages 8-11, and there are three story times for babies each week. It is a wonderful, dynamic library and we think it offers many opportunities to get involved and meet new people.

Then this morning we woke up to these views out of our front and back windows. I could get used to that.


The boxes are stacked in the garage. We don't know where a darn thing is. We went to the grocery store twice yesterday and have a huge list for when we go back today. Our winter coats are somewhere in storage so we're wearing lots of layers outside and we don't have boots yet. Life should feel crazier than ever, but I see the light at the end of our moving tunnel. I look forward to getting settled here and getting to know our new hometown. We've spent a lot of time saying goodbye and being sad and being out of sorts and now, finally, there's a lot to look forward to. Yesterday's first impressions have me more excited than ever.


4 comments: