Wednesday, November 19, 2014

pinching myself

I ran here today.

It was pinch me fantastic. The scenery, not the run. I'm still wondering how they manage all this healthy Colorado exercising with so little oxygen. But I hit the road or the paths every few days and assume that before too terribly long my lungs will acclimate to the lack of oxygen and my legs will get the hang of this mountain running.

This is Lake Evergreen and it's less than two miles from my house. There's a lovely little path encircling it. It's wooden bridge and packed rock and a little sidewalk, too. It has a warming house and they clear areas for hockey and skating. The water trickles down from the mountain and goes over a dam where it runs through town in the form of Bear Creek. It's stunning. All of it.

I ran today with eyes wide open at these mountains I get to see and these paths I get to run. I prayed that my eyes would always be open to the beautiful wonder that this world has to offer. That I wouldn't get so used to it that I ran past it without seeing it.

Do you do that? I do that sometimes. I go through life, head tucked down, and I miss what's right in front of me. The wonder and majesty of life. The really good man that I married. The healthy body I tool around in. The family that I get to call mine, the one that loves me in spite of my many faults.

Some days I am rocked to my knees by the magnitude of beauty this life has to offer and other days I shrug it off and think I deserve more. How annoying is that?

Today I saw it. I took it all in. I breathed deep, well, as deeply as I can these days, and exhaled gratitude.

What do you have in your life that's pinch me good? 

2 comments:

  1. My brother is so adorable. He hasn't been feeling the best over the past year, but this morning he's extra lovely and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that your brother is feeling good today, especially when things have been rough for so long. Is he younger than you?

      Delete