Friday, November 14, 2014

What's for breakfast? Pancake perfection

A few weeks back I asked what you wanted more of on this little blog 'o mine and a few people requested recipes. It made me giggle a little because I have always considered myself a pretty bad cook. I forget steps in recipes all of the time and I never read the recipe through before starting, then get 2/3 of the way through before realizing I don't have all of the ingredients or the right pan. Therefore, I appreciate your trust in my limited culinary talents. Or maybe I am  here to serve as your confidence boost to prove that anyone can cook.

Today I'm sharing one of our family favorites. I only bust it out in the autumn and winter because it's pumpkin and I just can't have the scent of cinnamon and nutmeg and pumpkin wafting through my house in the summer. I also can't make soup unless it's below about 45 degrees. Those are a few places I draw my food boundaries.

Now here's what you need to know before we move on. If breakfast isn't your favorite meal of the day we can still be friends, but I might need a written report on your reasons why. (Just don't tell me you don't love the books Anne of Green Gables or Love Does. Then we're going to have problems.) I'm talking pancakes, egg bake, fruit, french toast, oatmeal, waffles, crepes, omelettes, smoothie. MMMM. Who's hungry?!

A perk of homeschooling is that we can share big breakfasts most days. In fact our breakfasts and morning conversations linger so long we've had to start setting kids' alarms on school days so we start school at a reasonable hour. I try to make a big batch of waffles or pancakes one day and freeze the leftovers and a few egg bakes to last the week. Then we have oatmeal with frozen berries one or two days and toast and smoothie another day, maybe egg sandwiches or scrambled eggs with veggies one day. We don't eat much cereal because it doesn't fill my kids up so they're distracted and hungry soon after we finish. Now that I read that, I put a lot of thought into breakfast, probably because I love it so much and my kids wake up HUNGRY! It's a great way to start the day off right and I want their tummies full and their brains ready to learn, plus it's easy to make big batches to freeze for later.

When autumn rolls around I up my pancake game and make these delicious Pumpkin Pancakes. Oh are they delicious! I'm writing this late at night and my stomach is growling just thinking about them, but our pantry is all out of pumpkin so it'll have to wait. Plus I have overnight waffles in the fridge waiting for their time in the waffle iron in the morning.
perfect golden pancake deliciousness

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law and then tweaked it a smidge because the batter always turned out a little thicker than we like. I'm not sure where she got the recipe so I can't point you to the original source. Sorry. Also, this is a great recipe for kids to help with. They can get the ingredients out, count to 30 while we whisk the eggs, measure the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients, etc.

Alright already. Quit your yakking and get to the recipe!

Pumpkin pancakes
2 cups flour (I use 1/2 regular and 1/2 whole wheat)
6 TBSP sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt (I use full fat)
1 cup milk
1 can of pumpkin puree
4 TBSP melted and cooled butter (I never remember to do this ahead of time so mine is always melted and hot butter)

*Stir together dry ingredients. Beat egg in a large bowl for 30 seconds. Add yogurt, milk, pumpkin, and cooled (or not) butter to eggs. Stir in dry ingredients. Beat until just combined. Grease skillet. Once skillet is hot (splash a bit of water on it to see if it dances), pour batter on. Once it starts bubbling flip it over and let the other side cook to a lovely golden orange brown color.


Great plain

or with chocolate chips on special occasions

Aren't they pretty?
We top our pancakes with plain yogurt and honey or peanut butter and real maple syrup. Sometimes we get really fancy and add crumbled pecans to the batter. On Halloween I let the kids decorate their pancakes with a handful of chocolate chips while it cooked. It was fun because you could only see the chocolate chips on one side so Audrey called them Chocolate Surprise. That was delicious, too. I'm sure you'll think of other delectable ways to eat these, although I have been known to grab a leftover and eat it cold in the bright light of the fridge. Classy, I know.
speaking of classy, here's part of my goofball crew

There you have it. You might have all of the ingredients on hand to whip these up this weekend. I double or triple the batch and save the leftovers to heat up and enjoy later in the week. Or, you know, eat cold out of the fridge. Whatever floats your boat.
Cheers to yummy breakfasts and happy weekends!

What's your favorite breakfast food? And any other blogging suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment