Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Why I play Clash of Clans

Are you baking/cooking/prepping today? Or is it work as usual? I'm making this and this and these:

Sweet Potato Biscuits
2-3 sweet potatoes
1/2 c. butter, cut into chunks
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt.
1/4 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 c. flour

Preheat oven to 400. Scrub sweet potatoes, prick them with a fork,and microwave until tender, at least 10 minutes. (I don't have a microwave, so in the oven they'll go.) Slice them in half, scoop the hot flesh from the skins, and add to a mixing bowl along with the butter. Whip about 2 minutes. Beat in sugars, salt, and spices. Let cool for 15 minutes.

Mix flour and baking powder. Add to potato mixture and combine well with a fork. Pat into 8x8" square on a floured surface. Cut into 16 squares.

Place 2 inches apart on a sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake 14-18 minutes or until brown on bottom.

These are so easy and so tasty. They can also be made ahead and frozen until needed, but I didn't have my act together enough to do that. Surprise, surprise, surprise!

The big kids hustled through school on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday so they could stay at nana and babu's tonight so it's just the Asher boy and me. He's not my most helpful sous chef, as in he hides the measuring cups, but at least I'm not trying to bake and cook and teach and mother. Not that that's the hardest thing a person would need to do, but let's just say that productivity is up. But that's not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about Clash of Clans.

Have you heard of it? Have you seen grown men walking around with their noses in their phones, ignoring the rest of the world while they build up their imaginary, fighting clans? Yes. That happens. It does not happen to me, but it happens.

Here's the thing. I do not like the game. I don't care about the strategy. I don't check it often enough to win battles or build the stuff I should be building. It's not even remotely my idea of a good time.

Yet, in spite of all of that, last week I pushed the little free app thing on my phone and started playing Clash of Clans.

Jim started playing it a few months ago and the kids thought it looked cool and heard people from co-op talking about it. When we got my mom's old Ipad we decided we'd let them use that to make their own clan (village? Whatever it's called.) We don't engage in a lot of screen time over here, so the kids could trade in their wii time for Ipad time if they wanted to.

Turns out they love the game. The six year old in particular did what six year olds the world over are famous for. He fixated on it. If he's talking, which he does A LOT, it's often about football, Droon books, his baby brother, skiing, and Clash of Clans. The other kids really like it, too, but he takes it to another level.

They started talking about it more and I wanted to know what they were talking about. Jim and I do a fair amount of rule setting regarding screen time and I wanted to share something fun with them with the Ipad. So I joined. I don't have enough gold (elixir? trophies?) to join their clan yet, but it'll happen. I ask their advice and they are so proud to fill me in on what I need to know. They ask if I've upgraded stuff and I ask for their help. But mostly I just enjoy the fact that I can join in on the conversation and laugh with them and share this with them.

getting my tutorial in Omaha
There you have it. I've joined the Clash of Clans world. Not because I like Clash of Clans, but because I really love my kids. These four:
mama hiking selfie with 3 kids and a hat
What have you learned about or done because your kids loved it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment