Saturday, December 27, 2014

One Word

It is 5:14 here in the mountains. I just got Asher back to sleep and I'm sitting in the silence of the house, typing by the light of the Christmas tree. It is delightful. I am working on a post about Christmas Eve and Christmas because, boy oh boy, did we do Christmas Eve and Christmas right. I love the little traditions we have within our little family of six. I love the ease and fun of it. I also love looking forward to the noise and chaos of our family celebrations coming up later this week when our house is bursting with visitors from three different states. Card games and family meals, gifts and laughter, time at the slopes and, most importantly and best of all, time together after being apart for too long.
Yes, good stuff.

That's what's coming up, probably tomorrow, but for today, I want to think ahead to New Year's and New Year's resolutions in particular. I am not a huge resolution maker. I think of small changes I'd like to make and then forget about them a few weeks or, if I'm lucky, months later. I think it was last year that I resolved to wear earrings every day. I started strong, but fell off the wagon. I don't think I'm alone in that, whether the resolution involves earrings, time spent at the gym, money saving plans, changes in parenting style, time spent staring at screens, or investing more time in hobbies.

This year I'm going to try something a little different. Well, it's different for me. I've heard of other people doing it and decided to be more serious about it this year. I'll give you the details and you can decide if you'd like to join me.

This year instead of a long list of goals, which all too often amounts to a wish list forgotten by March, (did someone say February?) I'll be choosing one word. ** One word to focus on throughout the year, to hopefully bring accountability and change and growth to the areas of my life that need it the most. Some people have chosen love or faith or intentional or organization or give, the list goes on and on, and used that one word to shape their lives, the mental, physical, emotional, relational, spiritual, and financial aspects of it.

I've spent much of December thinking about my word and thinking about the pieces of my life that need the most attention. As personal history has indicated, I don't think a long list about keeping the house clean and exercising more and eating better, etc. is the way to go. So, I'm going with One Word. And I wondered if you might want to join me.

Lately I've been following along with Katie as she focused on the word Peace for 2014. Each Sunday she checks in on her blog, posts a picture or quotation, and writes about how peace worked in her life, how she made her life more peaceful.

I will be stealing her idea, with her permission of course, since imitation is the highest form of flattery. Each Sunday I will check in here and then once a month she and I will link up to give others a chance to tell us how they see their one word working in their lives or how they are doing on their resolutions. For those who don't have blogs, but still want to play along for accountability, you can comment on the blog or on my facebook page to keep the conversation going that way. Fun? I hope so. Helpful? It will be for me and I hope it'll help you, too.

There is nothing magical about January 1. Nothing sacred in the flipping of the calendar to a new year. We can make changes within ourselves any time of the year. We can be a better version of ourselves in our choices each day and each hour and each minute. Yes, during the hard times, it is a minute by minute basis for me. With that said, there is something unique about January 1. There is something lovely about a brand new planner, full of possibility, dreams, and adventures just waiting to be had.

So, if you'd like, think about your word. I'll be back on January 1 to share my word and hopefully some of you will share yours so we can start this new adventure together.

Merry Christmas. Happy 2015. 

** In the interest of full disclosure, I have not read the book. I might read it, but probably won't. If you know me in the actual real-life world or have been reading the blog for a while, it might not surprise you to find out that I'm mostly winging it. :)

2 comments:

  1. And....I just teared up. (and debated not reading this until I had my post scheduled about my word...I've got some writing to do in the next couple days!) I'm in complete denial about how close New Years is to Christmas.....

    I didn't even realize the one word idea was a book! I just saw other people's blogs and knew it was a thing. I'm "looking forward" (love and hate how often I use that phrase) to see how 2015 will go and where it will take us.

    Also, your daughter so looks like you in that tree photo at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, aside from my husband's brown eyes, Audrey is a little version of me.

      I'm excited for our little collaboration with one word. I have to figure out the link up stuff, but I guess it can't be too hard since bloggers all over the world do it every day. :)

      Delete