Monday, March 2, 2015

#4WeeksFit *goals*

It's a two-fer today, as in two blogs in one day. I'm linking up with Erin at Love, Fun, and Football to get my fitness goals in writing, receive some motivation along the way, and then it's up to me to make it happen!

Love, Fun & football

Winter can be rough for runners, particularly runners without treadmills and/or gym memberships. I would fall into that category. The mornings are dark, the afternoons are dark, the paths are icy, and the cougars are hungry. That leaves little time for running somewhere in the middle when people are working and kids are awake and hungry and life is happening. Back in Minnesota I would do the majority of my runs while the rest of the house slept. Here that is not an option because when the rest of the house sleeps, the wild animals are out hunting. I have been squeezing in what I could, but not making it an absolute priority. That needs to stop. In fact, it needs to stop today because just today I started my 16 week training plan for my 10 mile and half marathon races coming up in June with a 6 mile run.

Here we go.

Goal #1-Complete my 3 training runs each week. I am modifying a half marathon training plan in the Run Less, Run Faster book. It calls for 3 runs/week and I need to make sure that happens.

Goal #2-Cross train two days/week. The book calls for swimming, water running, or cycling, but that won't happen so I'm going to focus on some high cardio workout videos and hiking.

Goal #3-Start walk/run intervals with the kids in preparation for their first Colorado 5k. The hills and lack of oxygen here make it much more challenging and my kids have some goals for the summer, including their first 5k here and hopefully a triathlon later in the summer. We'll take it nice and slow and work up to longer distances. It'll be great fun to do this together.

Goal #4-Make healthier snack choices. I get hungry and I just grab something instead of planning ahead and thinking through my food choices. I'm good at mealtimes, but get lazy throughout the day. It is high time to nip that in the bud.

There you have it. My goals for March. I am excited to start running some races in my new state and to challenge myself in new ways. Let's do this!

How about you? Do you have any fitness goals you're working on or goals in general? Let's hear it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you linked up- I love your goals! Winter is definitely hard on runners- I have access to a treadmill but boy those runs are long and boring when you're stuck inside all the time! I love that your family is going to do a 5k together- so awesome to start 'em young :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being someone who has neither a treadmill or a gym membership I have completely had to give up running over Winter :( I try and tell myself I should try it out on the roads but the thought of a twisted ankle (or worse) always makes me rethink. I love that you involve your children in 5k's - as an early childhood educator I love when families make an effort on being healthy as a whole.

    Good luck with your goals! I can't wait to see everyone's progress at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for family 5ks and a kids tri! I think hiking is a great crosstraining, unless you've got pain, then I would stick to core or strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thanks for linking up with us! These are awesome goals! I'm excited to see how you rock them out this month! :)

    ReplyDelete