Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Happy 8th Birthday-star wars style!

On the off, off, off, OFF chance that anyone ever shows up at my house and thinks, "Dang. That DeNae girl really has it all together," I share these snapshots into our day of party prep for Elliot's 8th birthday party.

Elliot wanted to try a new cake recipe and I try to oblige the birthday kids' cake requests. Fortunately the recipe made 3 round cakes and I only needed two because this happened:

Unfortunately, the other two didn't fare much better. Fortunately, frosting cures what ails ya. Unfortunately, the cake was tremendously ugly. Fortunately, it was delicious.

At about 2 pm, (the party started at 4) while I was mentally trouble shooting my cake dilemma, we decided to set up the Jedi training obstacle course in the backyard. This involved moving an 8 foot wooden balance beam from the back of my car to the backyard, along with rolling two tires from the side yard to the back. Isaac and I were on balance beam duty, while Audrey and Elliot were on tire rolling duty. Apparently there was a mishap because as Isaac and I made our way to the backyard, we saw an out of control tire picking up speed as it headed down the hill of our backyard and a sprinting Elliot not far behind, but losing ground quickly. The tire ended up in the neighbor's front yard, about 2 acres from where it started. Isaac dropped the beam, literally, and ran after the tire, then kindly pushed it back up the hill. That was exciting.

I lost my temper and shouted at the kids to move faster to help me. Then, a few minutes later, I asked them to come sit on the couch and I apologized for losing my temper with them. I told them that I get stressed out before parties, that they were being incredibly helpful, and that I shouldn't be short with them when I'm stressed. I commented on the fact that the important parts of any party are making people feel welcome and having fun with friends. Those reminders were as much for me as they were for them.

At 3 pm, I carried a pajama clad and barefoot Asher to the car so he could join me for a trip to Papa Murphy's for the night's gourmet dinner of pizza and carrots. Go big or go home, I always say. Just kidding. I don't really say that. Plenty of time to get home for that 4 pm party start time, right?

I arrived home at about 3:30 and there sat my two crumbly, but mostly intact, cakes. I had the kids clean a bathroom while I tried to get the cakes from the cooling rack to the plate. Let's just say that it didn't go so well, and three cheers for frosting. I remembered to print up some Star Wars coloring pages for people to color as guests arrived. Then the first guest arrived and my kitchen looked like this and my kid was still wearing this:


Is this where the hastag #keepingitclassy originated? Maybe not.

The kids arrived, the light saber committee had a meeting in the front yard to go over key rules for a successful Star Wars party, and then the pool noodle light sabers were distributed. If you hand a light saber over to a group of kids, you have to be prepared for some battling. I let the kids go at it for a while, and then when it seemed like it was about to get out of hand, I took possession of the light sabers and told them they had two minutes to think of and practice their best jedi saber move before showing it to all of us as part of a Light Saber Talent Show. This got each person in their own space for a few minutes.

they were going for it!
The kids showed off their moves, and then it was time to head to the backyard for the Jedi training obstacle course. Elliot showed them the course, and then each kiddo took their turn running the gauntlet. The last person finished just in time for a short spurt of rain, so we headed inside for Elliot to open gifts. He will be one happy, Lego-building fiend in the morning.
running back up the path while deflecting bullets with the light saber

tire jumping and balance beam

a little disc golf thrown in for good fun

Asher prepared to run the course, then got scared and asked Elliot to go with him

Audrey finishes up the balance beam

The rain ended, so we headed back outside for a little pinata busting. We had a pinata etiquette session, with the intent of making sure everyone got candy and toys and no one got knocked unconscious by a swinging plastic bat. I am happy to report that we had success on both counts!



At that point, it was time to head in for pizza, carrots, "The Attack of the Clones," cake, and ice cream.
Happy birthday, big 8 year old!

Not one kid commented on the state of the kitchen, but they did love the cake and asked to lick the butter knife I used to cut the cake. The kids played well and got along and had fun. I had a lovely opportunity to chat with the mom who stayed and was so helpful with the party.
The six boys. (Audrey was in the bathroom)

The six boys + Audrey show their silly sides

I tucked my Elliot belliot woo woo into bed and his smile spread from ear to ear. "Did you enjoy your party, buddy?" "YEEESSSSS!!!"
Good night, sweet boy.
That's what matters. The guests felt welcomed, people had fun, and friendships grew. That, right there, is what matters.


3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good time! I love a themed party but the pressure to make it all just right wears on your nerves. I'm get better every party with just letting the fun happen. Love the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good time! I love a themed party but the pressure to make it all just right wears on your nerves. I'm get better every party with just letting the fun happen. Love the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set the bar for parties quite low because I know how stressed I get. :) I involve the kids because I want it to be their party. The parties always have imperfections, but the fun always shines brightest. And thanks. I love that last pic, too!

      Delete