Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Ideas for soaking

A few weeks ago I wrote this post. It's safe to say that my life and the world hasn't magically gotten its act together. In fact, more hate and violence has filled our airwaves, newsfeeds, and lives. I am equal parts horrified and relieved that this violence isn't actually new. People have created war and divisions since the beginning of time and we're still here. On the other hand, people have created war and divisions since the beginning of time and we continue to do it.

As a Christian, I wrote of my need to soak in the goodness of Christ. A few of you mentioned interest in joining me. Therefore, I thought I'd follow up with my plan. A blog reader recommended She Reads Truth. I read the last part of a series on Paul in Acts, and yesterday they started a new series on the juxtaposition and timing of life and death, fear and bravery, grieving and dancing. Unless my favorite early rising toddler is up ridiculously early, I start my day with that study. You can check their website daily or have it emailed to you each morning.

As simple as it sounds, making the time to do this quick devotion each day starts me out on the right foot. It has already shone a light on areas of my life and clarified some thinking in other areas. In short, it's doing just what I hoped it would do.

While I continue with She Reads Truth, I wanted something more. I did some online searches and came across this book that guides readers through reading the bible in a year. Chime in if you are interested in reading the bible in a year along with me. We'll pick a start date and figure out a way to check in weekly in hopes that the accountability and habit forming act of consistent reading will keep us on track and point our hearts and minds in the right direction.

That's my plan so far. If I haven't made it clear, I'm not an expert. I'd hardly call myself informed. I'm just someone trying to get through this trying, confusing, hurtful, beautiful, amazing life with my eyes pointed toward God and my actions reflecting Christ. I'm still open to suggestions on bible study books, especially since I like to write all over them and get my hands on the written word.

Happy, healthy, life-affirming soaking, friends.

12 comments:

  1. Hi DeNae! What a blessing to find your post this morning! We ALL need to be reminded of our need sometimes. Praying for some others to join you soon to read through the Word together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How fun to read a reply from the author of the book. I look forward to digging in to the bible soon. I have at least five friends interested, which is such a blessing.

      Delete
    2. I would really like to hear how it goes for you!

      Delete
    3. We are up to 13 women in our secret "Soaking in the Bible Buddies" FB page. Once we all have the book, we will browse through them to figure out the best way to utilize the group page to support and encourage each other. The women are from TN, SD, MN, and CO. This has turned into something much larger than I anticipated and I'm so eager to dig in!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning DeNae! I looked over the weekend for a bible guide and it's all overwhelming to me. I would love to join you. I will private message you my email and you can let me know some details

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. There are so many options that my head starts to swim, so I finally just had to pick one and order it. I'll get back to you via email with details, just as soon as I figure them out. :) Admittedly, I'm more of an idea person than a details person!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in ... seriously need accountability and loving/firm reminders and been wanting to do this a long time. Count me in, please. Love you Mama D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! And I love that you call me mama d. We'll be each others' gentle, yet firm reminders! Miss you!

      Delete
  5. I'm in ... seriously need accountability and loving/firm reminders and been wanting to do this a long time. Count me in, please. Love you Mama D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Technology challenged here ... an idea if nothing else, a 'private' FB page ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book was published right here in Minnesota (Bloomington)!

    ReplyDelete