Friday, March 17, 2017

the beauty of possibility

Moving to a new state with four young children, moving 1,000+ miles away from most of our family and all of our friends to a state where we knew literally three people, was difficult. When I say difficult, I am under-exaggerating to the thousandth degree. There were many times I questioned not only our decision, but our actual sanity. The most difficult part by far, as in like 84,539 miles, was seeing how it affected our daughter. At the time, I kind of hated myself for doing that to her.

Today my spectacularly awesome and sometimes sassy daughter got picked up by a friend's mom to go to a homeschool day at the roller skating rink. When I told her about the invitation, her face transformed into joy. It was so beautiful. She went with two friends from our homeschool group and I imagine giggling and jokes in the car. I imagine more giggling and silliness at the rink. I imagine her coming home tired and happy.

I really couldn't have imagined that smile and friendship and sense of community two years ago when we were living in a rental house and not sure about a homeschool group and searching for a church and not sure if anyone would accept one of our nine offers on eight houses and clueless about where we would live. It was a mess. An absolute mess. We were off the charts stressed. We also believed we were in the right place for our family. On paper, that makes no sense. In our hearts, we believed we were in the right place, even when it was messy and painful and downright awful. Yet here we are two years later and we are making our way. We still miss many of our favorite people in Minnesota and miss being closer to family in Michigan, but Colorado is our home. We have started to create community here. We have friends here. We have new jobs here. So much has changed in a little over two years.

None of the positive or negative changes take away from the love and friendship we miss in MN. Instead it adds to our life experiences, it enriches us, it challenges us, and we grow. In fits and starts, sometimes drowning in rain and sometimes scorching in sunshine, we grow.

Am I recommending a cross-country move to the great unknown for everyone? Ummmmmm. NOPE! I'm recommending we all stretch ourselves a bit now and again. I'm recommending we think about why we're here, what we're made for, and what makes us giddy. I'm recommending that we're open to the possibility of good in the unknown. Because down the road, new friends are waiting. New opportunities are calling your name. There might even be roller skating. And it's scary and beautiful and bonkers and good.

Are you a creature of habit or do you routinely stretch yourself? Have you tried something new lately?

1 comment:

  1. Creature of habit for sure! I make changes very slowly and very thoughtfully. When life does throw me a curve ball, I'm quick to reorganize as much as I can. But how wonderful that you are seeing the positive growth!

    ReplyDelete