Friday, August 4, 2017

Transitions

I like to think that I am pretty good at rolling with the punches. I used to be much more of a control freak, but one of the benefits of four kids is that I either had to chill out or go absolutely nuts. Most of the time, I choose chill out. That's not to say that I don't lose my cool or have moments where I want things to go a certain way at a certain time, but, for the most part, I temper my expectations, roll with it, and move forward feeling content and happy.

That's most of the time. Unfortunately, there are other times when I am hit with a tsunami of transitions, and I want to curl up into a ball with a loaf of bread and some brownies and ignore the world. I'm happy to report that I'm not there yet, but I wouldn't fault myself if I were.

On June 26, my third born turned 9. What a stupendous day of celebrating an adorably handsome, bright, kind, baseball loving, Harry Potter obsessed, animal whisperer, mostly introverted, fiercely loyal boy. Gosh, I love him, and watching him grow is and will always be a highlight of my life. Plus, so stinking cute.




On June 26, Jim started a new/old job at his new/old company. He started a new job last fall because his travel schedule was absolutely out of control, and it wasn't working for any of us. The new job promised less travel and a more reliable schedule. Some of that turned out to be true, but he was still traveling quite a bit, often with just a day's notice, and was not being compensated for it. Without going into all of the details, that job didn't work out and Jim started looking for a new position when he was offered a job with his old company. It was a very difficult decision and, with a solid level of trepidation, Jim accepted the job. We know it will involve travel, but that's pretty much par for the course in this field. How much travel? We have no idea.


On June 26, my mom and stepdad accepted an offer on their house that is an hour away from our family in order to move out of state. I haven't lived in the same state as my mom since I was 18 years old. When we moved to Colorado we moved because we loved the state, while acknowledging that being close to her was the most amazing bonus ever. It has proven to be as lovely as imagined. Actually, even better than imagined. She and my stepdad are incredible grandparents and amazingly supportive of our family. We still argue at times because it's what happens when you're so alike in the ways you're alike and so different in the ways that you're different, but, good grief, we love each other and we'll miss them like crazy. They are really sad to go, but it is the right decision for them.



 It's safe to say that June 26 and the days that followed were a doozies around here, with lots of emotions and tears and uncertainty.

Guess what else happened on the 26th? This is so cool! I was lamenting life in the dramatic way I am known to do. What can I say? I feel big. The highs are higher and the lows are lower. At any rate, we were meeting some friends at the park and after playing for a while they handed me an envelope of cash to use for whatever we need for foster care. (Now I just realized that I haven't even mentioned foster care on the blog, but this story only makes sense if I mention it, so I'll have to fill in the blanks at a later date. For the story's sake, we're trying to get licensed for foster care and have taken all of the classes and gone through all of the interviews, so we're in the wait stage. Did I mention we're in a stage of transition?) At any rate, they handed me a card full of encouragement and cash to support our family. Then I got home and another friend had mailed us a gift card to Target to use for whatever we need to support our hopefully expanding in the not from my belly way family. On a day that I was so down about so much that was, and remains, out of my control, the people around me lifted me up and encouraged me. The timing was perfect.

I'm not going to say God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Quite frankly, I think that's a load of bull. But. . . and this is a big But. . . God provides our daily bread. God provides people in our paths to lighten our load just when we think the burden is ours and ours alone. God provides. And as we step out in transitions and newness, these reminders came at just the right time.

Now it's August, and I've been sitting on this post since late June waiting to see how things will shake out. We still don't know. But I still know that God provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment